Thick, sultry, dark and silky, passionate….perfect for that special someone–YOU! Well and if it is perfect for you it is perfect for any guest and family member! The first time I tried this rich pudding-like “Hot Chocolate” I fell instantly in love. This is my go to homemade comfort food–can I call a drink “food” if it is thick?
So easy to make, and can be gluten free too! Look below for the ingredients and instructions. Be careful to stay away from scalding the milk and lumps by following the instructions carefully.
When you give an Italian our “American Hot Chocolate” They say tha It is watery and lacking flavor–even the most decadent, expensive chocolate…..and after trying my husband’s homemade cup of Love I understood why.
- 3 tablespoons dark cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or *we use flour(1 tablespoon)
- Mix the cocoa powder and sugar together in a small saucepan. Stir the 1 1/2 cups milk into the saucepan until the sugar has dissolved. Place over low heat; slowly bring the mixture to a low simmer.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons of cold milk together with the cornstarch or flour in a small cup; slowly whisk the cornstarch or flour paste into the hot cocoa mixture. Keep hot cocoa simmering, stirring continually, until the hot chocolate reaches an almost pudding-like thickness, 1 to 2 minutes.
*When cooking with milk over a burner stir frequently to avoid scalding.
Serve with Italian biscotti, pizzelle, or shortbread cookie.
**If this is too thick or dark for your guests, add extra milk. When cool this hot chocolate is like a chocolate pudding—delizioso!